Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fondant Roses





The fondant rose is gorgeous! We actually learned to make this last week in course 3, but I just got the chance to practice this week and get really good at it. The rose is actually made of a fondant and gum paste blend, which allows it to set up a little faster. The centers of the roses are made in advance and allowed to dry on toothpicks for 2 days (photo 1). Next, the rose is made in 3 layers - you can stop after the 1st layer for a rose bud (photo 2), after the 2nd layer for a medium sized rose (photo 3), or finish the 3rd layer for a large rose (photo 4). The rose is put together with either a vanilla extract used as an adhesive or some home-made "gum glue". These are beautiful but they definitely are time-consuming - I'm sure I'm a little slow because I'm just learning, but it took me about 15 minutes per rose.

No comments: