Tuesday, July 7, 2009

50th Anniversary Cake





I'm a little late posting this...hubbie, puppy, and I have been moving/unpacking for the past week.

I had the priveledge of making my grandparents' 50th Anniversary cake a few weeks ago. The party was casual - bbq and bluegrass - and the cake was the centerpiece. I designed the cake around my grandmother's favorite flower - the sunflower - so the color scheme was determined by that. My dad made the '50' topper for me (thanks, dad!). The top layer of the cake is lemon pound cake with a lemon curd filling and the bottom layer is chocolate/vanilla marble pound cake. The whole cake is iced with buttercream in a basketweave pattern and accented with gumpaste sunflowers. My favorite part, the fondant bluebirds, were originally going to be on top but I made them a little too large. The cake was a huge success and everyone loved it - especially the grandparents.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love it! How great for the celebration, to have such a memorable cake!